VW Golf Mk6 Sequential LED Tail Light Instruction – Installation
Save on workshop fees by doing it yourself! With only a few basic tools required and a plug n play, no soldering wiring setup, the installation time mostly consists of routing he bridge wire behind the trim panels. The bridge wire provides power for the inner tail light indicator/turn signal light, which is piggy backed off the outer tail light.
We refer the installation of the Sequential Mk6 tail lights as two stages.
Over viewStage 1: Install tail lights
90% of the install - approx 15 minutes.
- Installs all four tail lights
- All functions enabled except inner tail light indicator/turn signals - outers will function. (2 of 4 tail light indicators enabled)
Stage 2: Route indicator/turn signal bridge wire -Optional:
Route the indicator/turn signal bridge wire which enables the inner tail light indicator/turn signal lights.
- Enables inner tail light indicators/turn signal (total 4 of 4)
approx 40-60 minutes.
If in doubt, please consult a professional. In the event of improper installation, Supernova Lighting is not responsible for damages or injury. Improper installation may result in damages, fire, injury or death.
Stage 1 InstallTools needed
- 8MM Socket/spanner (socket easier)
Items in box
- 4pcs LED tail lights, with wiring converter pre installed
- 4pcs Canbus Decoders (silver)
- 2pcs Trim panel (for inner tail light edge)
- 2pcs Yellow Bridge wire (for inner tail light indicator)
- 1pcs Dual Reverse/Fog Bridge Harness
Ensure car is turned off, light switch in OFF position during installation.
Step 1 – Inner Tail Lights
Open trunk, remove plastic trim panel square on side to access rear of tail light. Remove 2pcs 8mm nut, unplug wiring socket, remove stock halogen tail light. Install LED tail light, feed wires through metal body
Step 2 – Inner Tail Lights
Re install 2pcs 8mm nuts, Plug wiring socket into tail light socket. Plug in black canbus decoder and fit to metal body of trunk with included 3M adhesive. The canbus decoder is best mounted onto the metal body of the trunk, behind the plastic. Ensure it is firmly stuck into place to prevent rattling.
Step 3- Outter Tail Lights
Pull back carpet to access rear of outter tail lights. Remove White hand screw, unplug wire socket, remove stock tail light.
Step 4- Outter Tail Lights
Fit LED tail light, ensure wires are guided through to interior of car, and not caught on edges. Plug in main wire socket, fasten white hand screw, plug in black canbus decoder and mount to metal of body (with 3M sticker). Notes: ensure canbus decoder is mounted in a position that will not obstruct the trim carpet when reinstalled. Note: Ensure lower section of tail light lines up with the plastic guides/clips.
Step 5- Inner Tail Light Trim Panel
Complete the installation by installing the trim panels. Left and Right side are stamped on the inside. Line up clips on each side and push on.
Stage 2 Install. - Routing Yellow Bridge Wire.
- 8mm and 10mm Spanner/Socket
- Torx T20 Screw Driver
- Soft Plastic Trim Removal Tool
- Wire feeding tool
Step 1 – Remove Plastic Trim Panel
Remove the two Torx T20 Screws under the boot lid. Pry trim panel off, working around the edges levering a gap to apply removal force by hand. Remove in star pattern configuration to avoid bending clips.
Step 2 – Remove Second Trim Panel
The secondary trim panel surrounding the glass only contains clips without and screws. Pry off directly and remove. Keep an eye on the angle of which the clips are removed, when a gap is made with the trim tool the metal clips may be visible showing which angle minimal force is required.
Step 3 – Interior Trim Removal
- Remove the overhead rear rectangular centre trim panel. Tip: Peel back the rubber weather seal to expose the edge of the panel, wedging the trim panel tool under the panel apply force and pry it downwards.
- Remove 2pcs 9mm plastic nut (one on each side of the vehicle). The plastic nut holds the outer C pillar trim panels in place.
- Pry C pillar trim panel to make a gap for feeding bridge wire. C pillar trim piece does not need to be removed. Warning: Air bag module is adjacent to C Pillar trim panel avoid contact and interference.
Step 4 – Route Bridge Wire
Follow the yellow wire road in the photo. Route the bridge wire up the wall of the interior of the vehicle, through the grommet and along the boot lid to the inner tail light. Complete for both left and right tail lights. Detailed Steps
- Pull back the carpet trim behind the outer tail lights, feed the wire upwards through to the C pillar. Tip: A light source/torch can be used to show holes/gaps to feed the wire upwards.
- Unclip the rubber grommet, feed bridge wire through interior metal opening, through rubber grommet and into the metal opening on boot lid.
Test all functionality of tail lights once sockets and can bus decoders are connected, before re installing trim panels.
If the inner tail lights do not illuminate immediately after install, car may be in transport mode. Solution: Close all doors, lock car, wait for MFD to fade out (dash display, approx 20 seconds), turn car back on.
Error lights appear. Solution: Turn car off, lock and unlock, turn back on.
Golf Mk6s test for light errors upon turn on and will self clear. If the error is not cleared, check connections and potential wire shorts.